Serve up cute mini green velvet cupcakes on St. Patrick’s Day. I love the recipe and ideas from Bakerella.com and lovefromtheoven.com. These are great sites for baking inspirations.
If the idea of using a lot of food coloring turns you off, there are some alternate choices. I myself, have a preference to use all natural ingredients whenever possible and have found a company that sells natural food colors that happen to be vegan and gluten free.
Tip: Use decorative muffin papers and decorate with shamrock and green sprinkles.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 oz. natural green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
- Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together really good with another wire whisk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
- Pour into cake pans and then drop the pans on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- After about ten minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. I also cover in plastic wrap while the cakes cool.
- Then make the frosting.
1 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temp ( I think … may have been two… can’t remember which I used for sure.)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook milk and flour. (cooked until pretty thick)
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add cooled cooked mixture to creamed mixture and beat until combined.