Having Royal Wedding fever? Consider hosting a tea party as you watch the royal nuptials happen. Make a simple display with a white tea cup filled with flowers and a miniature Union Jack flag for an accent. Serve cucumber tea sandwiches, scones with jam, biscuits and mini cupcakes. Of course, don’t forget a nice pot of hot tea.
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches are perfect for a baby shower, bridal party or ladies’ luncheon.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living April 1997
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dillweed
- 20 sandwich bread slices
- 20 thin wheat bread slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro sprig for garnish
- Process cream cheese and mayonnaise in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Combine cream cheese mixture, cucumber, garlic salt, and dillweed.
- Spread cucumber mixture evenly onto white bread slices, and top with wheat bread. Cut sandwiches into triangles and stand on their side. Or cut crusts from bread, discarding crusts, and cut sandwiches into quarters. Store cucumber sandwiches in an airtight container for up to 1 hour before serving. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro for a nice presentation.