Add homemade granola as part of your menu the next time you host a brunch. Granola is easy to make. Have a buffet table decked out with yogurt, dried fruits, chocolate chip morsels, milk and granola for guests to create their own special blend.
Homemade granola is a simple combination of rolled oats, nuts, seeds and spices mixed with oil and sweetened with brown sugar or maple syrup and baked until golden brown.
When gathering up the granola ingredients, shop at natural health food stores that offer bulk ingredients. Look for plump colorful dried fruit which will yield the best taste. Experiment with textures by adding different kinds of grains such as puffed rice.
Create your own recipe with the following ingredients:
- GRAINS: Rolled oats, rye flakes, wheat flakes, soy flakes, rolled barley, brown rice flakes, cracked wheat, soy grits, puffed rice, millet, buckwheat.
- NUTRITIONAL: Wheat germ, rice bran, oat bran, wheat bran, powdered milk, soy milk, nutritional yeast.
- SEEDS: Sesame, sunflower, flax, chia, pumpkin
- NUTS: Walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts
- FLAVORINGS: Vanilla extract, almond extract, grated citrus rinds, ginger, cinnamon
- OILS & FATS: Cold pressed oils (safflower, almond, sesame, peanut, etc.) melted butter
- DRIED FRUITS: Dried apples, raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, blueberries coconut.
- SWEETENERS:*Liquid: honey, molasses, maple syrup, fruit juices, fruit concentrates *Solid: date sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, maple sugar, fruit sugars
Homemade Granola Recipe:
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup puffed rice
- 1/2 tablespoon wheat germ (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crystalized ginger
- 2 tablespoons canola oil melted
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) pure maple syrup (preferably Grade A Dark Amber)
- 1 cup dried fruits (cranberries, cherries, apricots, dates, figs, and/or raisins) (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Either butter or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, nuts, seeds, wheat germ, ground cinnamon, and salt.
In a small bowl, stir together the oil, maple syrup and crystalized ginger. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss together until all the dry ingredients are well coated with the liquid. Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for about 30 – 45 minutes or until golden brown. Stir occasionally to make sure the mixture browns evenly. Place baking sheet on a wire rack to cool. The granola may be a bit sticky however, it will become crisp and dry as it cools. Break up any large clumps of granola while the mixture is still warm. Once the granola has completely cooled, store in an airtight container or plastic bag in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.
Makes about 5 cups.
Option: After the granola has cooled completely you can add a variety of dried fruits such as raisins, cranberries and even coconut.
Tagsappetizers Baby Shower baking Barbecue Beer birthday brunch cake Cakes candy Cheese chocolate Cocktails color crafts Decorations desserts Dips display DIY eco-friendly entertaining flowers games gifts gluten free grilling Halloween Holiday Party invitations Kids Party Ideas Mardi Gras Napkins Natural Ingredients outdoor party Party Favors Party Tips recipe Recipes St. Patrick's Day table setting tableware themes wedding wine