If the idea of using a lot of food coloring turns you off, there are some alternate choices. I myself, have a preference to use all natural ingredients whenever possible and have found a company that sells natural food colors that happen to be vegan and gluten free. Check out seelectea.com
Tip: Use decorative muffin papers from Sur la Table and decorate with shamrock and green sprinkles.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 oz. natural green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans.
- Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Add remaining liquid ingredients and stir together with whisk until blended. Set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl and stir together really good with another wire whisk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or until completely combined.
- Pour into cake pans and then drop the pans on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- After about ten minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on a wire rack. I also cover in plastic wrap while the cakes cool.
- Then make the frosting.
1 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temp ( I think … may have been two… can’t remember which I used for sure.)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook milk and flour. (cooked until pretty thick)
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add cooled cooked mixture to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
Tagsappetizers Baby Shower baking Barbecue Beer birthday brunch cake Cakes candy Cheese chocolate Cocktails color crafts Decorations desserts Dips display DIY eco-friendly entertaining flowers games gifts gluten free grilling Halloween Holiday Party invitations Kids Party Ideas Mardi Gras Napkins Natural Ingredients outdoor party Party Favors Party Tips recipe Recipes St. Patrick's Day table setting tableware themes wedding wine