Have you ever been invited to a Thanksgiving dinner and witness the host or hostess trying to carve the turkey with a dinner fork, a large knife on a small cutting board? Having the right equipment from cooking to serving will make for more enjoyable and entertaining Thanksgiving celebration.
Here is a check list of cookware and tabletop items to make this Thanksgiving preparations easy.
- Roasting Pan and Rack – to keep the turkey from sitting in its juices and allowing air to flow
- Meat Thermometer – to ensure the turkey is cooked to the right temperature and does not get dry.
- Cotton Twine – to keep the legs trussed
- Cutting Board – use a large sturdy wooden board that has a well around its edges to catch the juices.
- Baster – look for one that has a silicone bulb, dripless tube and easy-to-clean
- Whisk – a must have for smooth gravy. Your best bet is an all stainless steel one.
- Potato Masher – for rustic chunky mash potatoes
Cookware & Bakeware
- Rolling Pin
- Pastry Brush – have a few one for the pies and one for the turkey
- Mixing Bowls, Baking Dishes, Pots, Pans and Utensils – take inventory and buy extra as there are many food items to cook. Consider investing in a few attractive casserole dishes that can go from oven to table.
- Pie Dish – go with a heavy-duty ceramic to ensure that the crust cooks evenly. A standard size is 9 – 10 inches in diameter.
- Mini Muffin Pan- great for appetizers and desserts
- Table Settings – Consider your party style then take inventory of your tablecloth, napkins, napkin rings, candles, place cards and buy what is needed.
- Platters, Servings Bowls and Serving Utensil- know what you have and be prepared if guests are bringing food to have extra platters and serving utensils handy.
- Dishes, Silverware and Glasses – Again take inventory of what you already have and supplement if needed. If you have a more casual party setting then select high-quality disposable or eco-friendly dishes.
- Storage Containers for Leftovers – Make clean up easier and safely store leftovers with Tupperware. Have disposable plastic containers in various sizes handy to send guests home with leftovers.